Every year, the Wharton Social Venture Fund (WSVF) seeks investment opportunities in for-profit enterprises whose business models generate a positive social or environmental impact. We pursue ventures that are domiciled in the United States and make minority investments in seed stage or Series-A rounds, generally in amounts of $50,000 – $150,000 .
In addition to this opportunity, the WSVF participates in the annual MBA Impact Investing Network and Training (MIINT) competition, an exciting initiative co-produced by Bridges Ventures and the Wharton Social Impact Initiative for the chance to win a $50,000 angel investment in the company for which we’ve selected.
The WSVF has won this competition in two of the last three years. See the 2013 winner’s, LearnSprout, blog entry about working with the WSVF: http://blog.learnsprout.com/post/47800002364/learnsprout-wins-first-prize-in-the-mba-impact
By participating in our investment process, entrepreneurs benefit in a variety of ways, including:
- Possible funding from the WSVF and/or the MIINT competition
- Association with the Wharton brand and access to its network and resources
- WSVF-led diligence and strategy projects
- August – November: Submissions accepted
- December – February: Diligence conducted
- March-April: Investments awarded
What are we looking for?
Eligible businesses should meet the following criteria:
- U.S. domiciled companies focused on a clear social mission
- Seed- to early stage, seeking funding to grow
- Profitable or has a clear plan to reach financial profitability
- Currently raising $100,000 to $1 million in equity funding (seed stage or Series A round)
- Provides a critical good or service in one or more of the following sectors:
- Environment and Clean-Energy
- Financial Services
- Food and Nutrition
- Health and Wellness
What’s in it for the entrepreneurs? Companies that enter the WSVF screening and due diligence process may:
- Receive feedback on the business plan from WSVF members and our investment committee
- Be eligible to receive $50,000 – $150,000 in funding from the Wharton Social Venture Fund or MIINT competition.
To be eligible for investment consideration, please contact the Wharton Social Venture Fund at [email protected] Submissions will be accepted through December. If you have any questions, please contact us.